Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Scottish Open and Loch Lomond

Do I want to play Loch Lomond? You bet yer arse I do, it seems like one of the prettiest places on earth to play golf and Martin loved it, good enough for me right there. Martin steered me to the King's Course, now one of my very favorite Parkland layouts.

But why is the Scottish Open there? Actually we do know the answer to that. It's just another reason why professional golf is hardly worth our time any more. If the Open Championship is the following week, why play in the home of golf's most un-Scottish places. Truly, Tom Weiskopf builds beautiful, well-thought out golf courses that are always of a certain quality or better but never truly stirring on architectural merit alone. It's an American golf course, and a wet one at that. Heck, it almost swallowed up Tom W himself in a bog on the site!
That's wet in my book.

As when I asked one of my pals (who knows his particular home state that I was visiting for the first time very, very well) whether or not I ought to play a certain Weiskopf course. This when there were a good half-dozen other quality courses within a half-hour of where this particular one was he said "You've played Weiskopf, right? You've played it." and sadly he is right. Just as with Hurdzan and Fry and the "Fazios", Arnold Palmer and to some degree Coore and Crenshaw, Jack Nicklaus and LandMeister Tom Fazio himself, you know what you are to get with a high degree of certainty. It's called branding and it sells.

In Loch Lomond's defence, it is so damned pretty there I have to go and play it for myself at least once, but the Scottish Open fer chrissake, it needs to be a links course, period.

See other writer's pieces for more expansion on this thought; that's all I have to say because that's all of it in a nutshell.

Q: Scottish Open; next week The Open Championship?

A: LINKS , d-oh!

No comments: