Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Open Championship Week

In a move to wean myself from other internet golf locations, look for me to have more to say. I've got the photos for Kohler on another computer so look back soon.

The Open Championship Week is my favorite personal week in golf. It is the world's tournament, too much of world golf is still in the USA although the news of the Women making the Evian a Major is good news this week. Even though a good friend of mine's younger brother has qualified for the US PGA (Major) I feel most strongly that it needs to be dropped from Major status and a Bermuda/Couch surface tournament needs to be added in its place with debate between the Australian Masters and Oz Open. Perhaps a brand new Australian Tournament rotating through the most revered venues is the answer.

This week at Royal Saint George's Rory McIlroy returns to the world golf stage against Westwood, Donald and recent Major winners Kaymer, Schwartzel, Oosthuizen and the apparently renewed Sergio Garcia. My no means a comprehensive list, add all-rounder current top American and my personal favorite American these days Wisconsin's own Steve Stricker and you probably have covered the top betting favorites. This Open will be decided by the weather and who handles it best if current forecasts hold.

Dan King invited me to my first Open Championship when he was at GolfWeb.com - now defunct. In a house in the town of Carnoustie we had a true cast of characters and I had the car. It was also my first trip to play links golf and that Peugot 206 covered over 1,000 miles. It was a helluva good time.

The Open is so very special in that it is so egalitarian - walk up and pay on Sunday and you'll get in. I did that on Sunday in 1999 and stood directly behind Jean Van de Velde ready to rush down the 72nd fairway with the traditional throng of golf's most knowledgeable fans only to need to scramble around (with my friend-making umbrella) to see Aberdeen's Paul Lowrie keep the Claret jug in Scotland for the year. It remains one of my top memories in golf and fully cemented my love of The Open championship. Enjoy and see you soon.

No comments: